If our students get a good grade in government class but leave class as apathetic, uninvolved future citizens… we have failed.
If our students pass the state reading test but never voluntarily read a book… we have failed.
If our students survive math class but end up hating math… we have failed.
And so on…
Chris Lehmann and Zac Chase said in their amazing book, Building School 2.0:
With almost everything we teach, we are always faced with two very different challenges. One, what are we doing to unlock the passions and skills of the 10 percent (or so) of the kids who either already are or could become so passionate about our subject that it becomes their course of study past their K-12 education? And two, what are we doing for the other 90 percent of the kids? Why is it important that they are taking the class?
What are our schools doing to help students find meaning and joy in the classes that they take, not just comply with course requirements? And how often and at what scale? If it’s only a few teachers or classrooms… we have failed.
Image credit: Fail, Kevin Krebs